Hospital gaffe mom in agonydepartment o

She was referred to Frere, where, on March 9, an X-ray revealed a "foreign object". Her stomach was filled with pus.

Two days later, the swab was removed in an operation. Quvanes condition was so serious that she had to spend four weeks in hospital. She was discharged on April 9.

Doctors saved her life but a swab used to soak up her blood was left behind.

Last month, represented by Mike Maseti, she slapped Frere Hospital and the provincial Department of Health with the R2.5-million claim, including R500000 for general damage, R1-million for pain and suffering, R50000 for loss of amenities of life, R250000 for past and future medical costs, and R236000 for loss of past and future income.

Hospital gaffe mom in agony,department o,Zoliswa Quvane, 27, says her pain was so bad she had to give up her job, losing the only source of income for herself and her two children. She thought she would die.

It is claimed in s before the East London High Court that the head surgeon, a Dr Santhia, whose first name is not mentioned, performed the operation before stitching the wound with the swab inside.

Only after hospital visits over a year did a doctor at East Londons Frere Hospital discover the source of Quvanes problem.

The street vendor was admitted to Frere Hospital after an attack on April 1 laHospital gaffe mom in agony,department ost year, when she was sliced open with a knife.

The department and Frere Hospital have not filed responding s.

A single mom from a rural village in the Eastern Cape will go head-to-head with the state in a R2.5-million court battle after a medical swab the size of a hand towel was left to rot in her abdomen after an operation over a year ago.

Quvane was discharged from Frere in mid-April but continued to "suffer immense pain". With her belly so swollen that she looked pregnant, Quvane approached private doctors and specialists at Butterworth Hospital for help.

Provincial health spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said yesterday that he could not comment because the claim was now before a cdepartment of health eastern cape provinceourt. Health department superintendent-general Siva Pillay said he would speak to his legal team before commenting.

Leave a Reply